Andrés Valenzuela: Confessions of a security agent

​ Andres Valenzuela,Alias Papudo
In November 1984, the military regime decreed a state of siege and closed the opposition magazines, including Cauce. It was tried to prevent the publication of the interview that Mónica González, current director of CIPER, made to Andrés Valenzuela (Papudo), active non-officer of the Fach and agent of the Joint Command. In December it was published by El Diario de Caracas, in Venezuela. This is the version of the dialogue in which, for the first time and in the middle of dictatorship, a soldier revealed how the security services tortured, murdered and disappeared the opponents. A testimony that over the years was confirmed point by point in court.
"I want to talk about missing detainees," he said and his voice echoed on the walls. In his hands was crushed a copy of the magazine Cauce, where they denounced crimes committed in the northern part of Chile by the same security services that he until that day (August 27, 1984) belonged. Trembling, anxious, aware of the mistrust he inspired, the words sputtered out of his mouth.
He was one of those men who eleven years of military regime transformed first into jailers, then into torturers and later into assassins. "Without wanting to, I was transformed," he whispered after many hours, overwhelmed by the accumulated details reported. Hundreds of men and women passed through his hands, through his eyes and ears. Many of them were savagely tortured. To death. Others, deprived of all dignity, forced - at the limit of resistance - to surrender to their own comrades, they were then thrown out into the street. Men without bone and without soul. A different way to kill. All of them left their mark on Andrés Antonio Valenzuela Morales, 28, a member of the Chilean Air Force Intelligence Directorate, FACH.
The following transcript is one more episode in a long history of eleven years of violence, death and destruction. It's a simple story that involves hundreds of people. Many of them have struggled for years to have their relatives - missing persons - returned someday alive. This story will cut them off forever. A simple story that portrays in a crude way the cruelty of a regime, the abuse of power that transformed peasants, young citizens of Chile, into vulgar assassins under the protection of authority.
This is the story of Andrés Valenzuela and of all those who made one day this son of peasants want to "return to being a human".
How many died without ever giving in, knowing that their testimony was in the hands of their murderous captors?
This account is a convincing proof that all these sacrifices were not in vain. Somehow each one of those prisoners contributed so that one day Andrés Valenzuela decided and recounted what until today the military regime has tried by all means to silence.
This is the merit of the story of Andrés Valenzuela. It is the first that commits many torturers, murderers, responsible for cold deaths planned. He is also the first to deliver the truth about some missing detainees. He is the first to penetrate the agony and despair accumulated in men who claim to represent power. Many more men, like Andrés Valenzuela, hope to one day have the courage to jump and talk.
"I just need to talk," he muttered, extending his military identification card (TIFA) number 66,650, valid until September 3, 1986.
"Do you remember names?"
Yes. The brothers Weibel Navarrete, for example ...
-Explicit yourself. You are very nervous and the emotional burden we both have is great. This work will not be easy but it needs to be explained and in detail. We will record everything and then we will see what is published. Do you agree?
I do not care.
"I do not want him killed at the exit."
It's going to happen, but at least I talked.
"When did you enter the security services?"
The year 1974. I arrived to make the Military Service to the Artillery Regiment of Antiaérea of ​​Hill. There they selected personnel to take him to the War Academy of the FACH, in Las Condes Avenue. At that moment, the prisoners' trials were over. Apparently, the bosses considered me lively and so I think they took me out to work in the "reaction groups".
"What were they doing in the reaction groups?"
We were accompanying those who searched.
"Who selected them?"
An instructor whose name I do not remember. But he has nothing to do because the selection was random, no more. We were about 60 conscripts selected. They divided us into two groups. Half went to work at the War Academy; The rest, we work directly with prisoners.
-Where in?
In the subways of the War Academy.
"You came from Papudo?"
Yes. From there I got to Colina and then we went to depend on the Aviation Attorney's Office. We went to the subways, the place where the detainees were. It was the first time he had seen a prisoner. I do not think I'll ever forget it ...
They formed us and told us that what we were going to see we had to try to forget it and the one who spoke something ... The threats began and one, who was very young, was impacted. We went down to the kitchen area. We went down a spiral staircase, which was like a vertex; There were tubes. It gave me the impression of going as in a submarine, a boat. When we left, we passed near some baths. We were six or seven men who were going to relieve the reservists, the first conscripts. The others were just reservists, people who had called to do that job. I remember that when I folded, the first thing I saw was a lot of people standing, with handcuffs, some in Air Force uniform. Captain Ferrada (Gustavo Ferrada) was among them. That was the first impact. One comes from a regiment where he has to greet half the world. I still remember laughing when I asked the officer how he was going to Ferrada; If I said captain. The officer said to me, "No, boogey, they are prisoners! They are in uniform because they have no other clothes. "
What struck me most was seeing some women arrested. They were standing, with signs that said: "Standing 24 hours" and signed the "Inspector Heads." Later I learned that Cabezas was Colonel Edgar Ceballos, he is still in active service. I did not understand anything, until the officer explained that it was necessary to sit at the door of the pieces with a rifle and "protect" them: that is, to prevent them from talking. There was an internal regulation that had to be enforced. The first piece that touched me was number 2; In it were an old lady and Carol Flores (Note 1), who later became our informant.
"Do you remember other names?"
There were supposed to be prisoners of some importance and others might come to rescue them. Therefore, the security measures were very severe. The reservists passed by a prisoner and told him: "Let's see, dude, stand up, stand up." They sent their prisoners as they pleased. I started to ask about the prisoners and they said: "Look, with this one must be careful, because he is karate. It's Victor Toro. " It struck me a lot; I had heard him name by the newspapers, he was famous. It was like being brave to a familiar character. There was another, Moreno. I also met Arturo Villabela Arauco there, plastered. He had been shot. Thus ended my first day in the AGA.
"Did you take turns at night, too?"
Yes, and I was very scared. We had been told that in case the alarm sounded the entire academy would be darkened and some spotlights would be lit. There were more machine guns point 50 and from there they lit the spotlights during the night. One night the alarm went off. We had orders that, in that case, all the prisoners had to lie down with their hands on the back of their necks, be as they were, naked, wounded ... And if the officer gave the order we had to shoot the prisoners. I was in front of the room where the old lady was, she was the wife of a Communist deputy, she was with her children ...
"Was it Jorge Montes?"
Yes, he was. Well, the siren sounded, everything went dark and lights went on. The detainees acted automatically. They lived it almost daily and sometimes it was done to test them. That night I saw the officer on duty take a grenade, took out the lock and began to walk the grenade down the hall. He looked at everything, tried to control us because we were very tense. He would say, "Calm down, boys, if you want to rescue detainees, they're going to shit, because they're all going to die: I throw the grenade in the hallway." I remember that on that occasion, Flores said that we should not be frightened because that happened every day. Thus began the process. I did daily guards until they pulled me out for the "reaction" groups,
"How long were you at the War Academy?"
I do not remember exactly, but it must have been about six months or so. Then we went to security houses.
-What happened to the detainees of the Academy?
I only kept guards. I saw that they were beaten, punished and, in addition, continued to participate in raids.
"What were the punishments?"
In blows, application of electricity. In fact, I never saw anyone die, but we were isolated, there was no confidence for ... In a confrontation, yes, died the Molina "Coño" Molina (José Bordaz Paz, Note 2). Also died an army officer (Lieutenant Hugo Cerda Espinoza, son of a chief officer of the Military Hospital, Hugo Cerda Pino), bad luck no more ... In that shooting I participated, then I got more involved.
"What else do you remember?"
There was a man whose name I do not remember, who tried to commit suicide. He even had the mark on his throat: he had cut himself with a bottle or a glass, in the bathroom. The truth is that I was no longer sentinel at that time, then I got more involved.
-How it happened?
Without wanting to, they were selecting people and all the times they included me.
"Did you know what I was doing?"
Yes. I noticed.
-And he did?
I had to work on something.
"Have you or your family, the Popular Unity government, harmed you?"
No, not at all.
-How old are you?
28 years.
"That means he was 19 when he was assigned to work in DINA security houses.
No, I was never in the DINA. I belong to SIFA, Air Force Intelligence Service. At that time, we had serious problems with the DINA, we thought it was inoperative. At least that's what our bosses said. We, being so few, acted more effectively than they. For example, our group managed to stop the entire MIR dome.
"And how did you follow your itinerary in SIFA?"
I already told you: I went to the "reaction" groups. We carried out raids, guarded the houses, controlled the traffic while the rest raided, took people out of the house, stopped people.
"Where did they take the detainees?"
First to the AGA. But we at that time did not know more. We did not worry about the detainees. If they were released or judged, we had no idea. I know they were being tortured. The first time I had to witness such a job was with a woman. I was very shocked. She was a MIR girl whose name I forgot.
-Remove it.
She was a very young girl of good economic standing, blond hair ...
"Why did he hit you?"
I've never seen anything like this before. I was considered among the palletized sentinels let's say. Then they made her go to the bathroom and there they took off the crest and I saw them. I was once again very impressed by a man with purple skin. He was entirely purple, purple (Víctor Hugo Salinas Vilches, 55 years old, arrested on September 13, 1973. They asked him over and over for weapons without believing that Salinas did not even know how to shoot.)
"What did they do to the woman?"
They put a current on her and she screamed. She was the girlfriend of a boy from MIR, Karate. I do not remember the veneer that he used, they were doing a test to see who could definitely stay in the service.
"What were these tests?"
We were starting to creep into the system and saw how we endured, how we reacted. It seems that I reacted well because I have been in this for ten years.
"Did you tell me about two security houses they had?"
Yes. It was before we went to Colina. The first house was located at 20 Grand Avenue (Santa Teresa No. 037, expropriated to the leader of the MIR, Jose Bordaz). Nowadays, a society does not know whether it is diabetics or anti-alcoholics.
-How many prisoners were there?
It was rotating, but we got about 40 detainees, divided into three pieces. There were even some stuck inside the closets.
"What kind of torture did they apply?"
Current, we hung them, blows of hands and feet ...
"Did people die in that place?"
Yes. One was the so-called "Comrade Diaz". He was about 50 years old, half-gray, short, with a regular structure (Humberto Castro Hurtado, Note 3). The other was a young man who was told "Yuri" (Alonso Gahona Chávez, Note 4). It was hung in a shower and as before had been applied current, was very thirsty. He opened his mouth and took water. Then a sentry came and cut off the water, but he opened it again and we let the water run. It must have been a few hours with the shower water running through the body. At night he died of fulminating bronchopneumonia.
"The" Comrade Diaz, "was Victor Diaz, Under-Secretary-General of the Communist Party?
No, it was not him. An opportunity came in a team that I do not know where it came from, it could have been DINA. He did not know them and began to question him about armament. I understand that Diaz knew where the armament of the Communist Party was. He did not answer anything and they beat him a lot. It was about nine men who made up the group and gave it to everyone. Before they had hit him, he was well beaten.
-I speak?
I do not speak. They left him there and said that they would return the next day to continue questioning him. It seems they noticed that he was very weak. He passed away that night.
"What did they do with the body?"
I do not know. In the group that took it out was Roberto Fuentes Morrison.
"Where was the other security house?"
At the location 18 of Vicuña Mackenna ("Nido 18" was located at Avenida Peru No. 9,035). That house seems to belong to a man named Sotomayor, from the MIR (Humberto Sotomayor). It was a large wooden house with a mechanic's shop and mannequins. It seems that his wife was a dressmaker. There, a tall man walked with a light brown leather jacket and brown trousers. They were two brothers, communists. At that time we were working only the Communist Party.
"When he says, who are you referring to?"
To the United Command that acted with people of Carabineros and the Navy. (For the Armada, the captain was Manuel Barra von Kretschmann and Lieutenant Daniel Guimpert, and by Carabineros, under the command of the then DICAR was General Rubén Romero Gormaz and Lieutenant Manuel "Lolo" Muñoz Gamboa)
"You talked about the brothers Weibel Navarrete, what happened to them?"
At that time we were working at Colina Air Base. There was the youngest Weibel: Ricardo. (He was arrested on October 26, 1975). He was with us some days (until November 6). I talked to him a lot because I had to stand guard if I did not have to leave the operations. I learned that I was a micro driver of the Recoleta-Lira line. The first time we stopped him I participated, it was in El Salto Avenue, near the Buin Regiment. Then it was in the house, a team that integrated the own commander Fuentes Morrison. One day, when I was entering my service, I saw him and asked him: "And what happened?" I do not know, he replied, it seems that there are some things to clarify. He was very nervous, he told me that he thought they would kill him. Ricardo was very shocked by the operation of the helicopter. They felt it when it landed.
"They took him in a helicopter?"
No, they left in a vehicle, next to Rodríguez Gallardo (Note 5). I then draw conclusions and I think that they went to look for it, because they were going to kill ...
"Who stopped him at the second opportunity?"
I remember it was Fuentes Morrison. I did not go. They went to look friendly. He came with a shirt only. Several more were taken out and shot dead.
-Where in?
In Peldehue. I do not know exactly the place, but I do know it was in Peldehue, in the military grounds.
"How many more prisoners were in that operation?"
About eight or nine people.
"What did they do to the corpses?"
I guess they burned them because they were fueled. They carried a jerrycan with ten liters of fuel, they also had sticks and shovels. I imagine they burned them to disfigure them and then they must have buried them. Also as I said was "El Quila" Rodriguez Gallardo, leader of the Communist Youth (arrested August 28, 1975). "El Quila" even said goodbye to us.
"How were they when they left?"
They were whole. Weibel broke a little but not like to cry, very soon recovered. Another of the men who left was a painter or draftsman.
The informant friend
"Who gave Miguel Rodríguez Gallardo?"
The informant Carol Flores; We would call Ricardo. He delivered almost all the people of the Party and Youth. I lived in a house in Los Tulipanes street.
"But Rodríguez Gallardo also gave it to him?"
Yes, I understand that they were fellow students. Miguel Rodríguez Gallardo was a prisoner that I came to admire for its value. He was respected even by our own bosses, by his intelligence, by his manhood. He died for his convictions. He thought what he was doing was fine. We could never break it, under any circumstances, neither mentally nor physically. He was in a closet, blindfolded; So that he was not out of mind, he looked for drawings on the tables, he imagined situations, he was so blindfolded that he developed the sense of hearing more than we, smell. He was detained shortly before the trees blossomed and in "Nido 20" (the security house at 20 Grand Avenue) there were trees and one day he said "I know where I am: at the 20 st. That sounds and that gives the time, I know it ". It seems that in his youth he had been a firefighter in that company. He also recognized a whistle of a factory that was there. He listened and took accounts.
Before that we had it in a hangar in Cerrillos, on the civil side of the airport. There one day he told us that he was being held at Cerrillos. We ask, "But how do you know? It may be Pudahuel, El Bosque Air Base. " No, he said, "I listen to all the indications given by the control tower and have never been able to get out of a fighter plane or passengers: it has to be Cerrillos." Thus we became friends of him. When we took him to Colina, he wasted some time. He knew that it was a place where instruction was made, that it was a regiment because he listened to the conscripts in the morning trotting and singing.
-How he died?
In the military grounds of Peldehue next to Ricardo Weibel.
"Why did those people have to die?"
I do not know. That was dictated by the boss.
"You did not feel anything?" Had not he befriended him?
Yes, I felt sorry for some of us the same happened, because when he left he knew he was going to kill him. He even shook hands, said goodbye to us, thanked us for cigarettes. He knew us to the steps. He knew who was on call, when he was me he would call me and say, "Papudo, give me a cigarette ...".
"What happened to Jose Weibel, a member of the Communist Party's political commission?"
I participated directly in his detention. We got him down from a microphone, we followed him from his house. He had been watched for several days. (He was arrested on March 29, 1976). Other guys who were not of the Air Force acted, acted as agents, were people of the right, had been of Patria and Libertad. In the micro went with his lady.
-What happened?
I do not remember well. There was a robbery. We were looking for the possibility of downloading it. There was a lady who had nothing to do with us or the DINA, they robbed him and we said that we were Investigations and we lowered him blaming him for the robbery. We then took him to a security house we had in Bellavista.
-Where in?
Close to where there are tennis courts, almost at the corner. I think they have now built an apartment building and it seems that on the first floor of the house they repair washing machines. There we lived the bachelors of the service and we also had detainees.
"What did they do with him?"
He was interrogated, he was with René Bazoa, who had also been arrested but long before and was our informant. We used it to get information from the others. There was another informant who told him "Fanta" (Miguel Estay), this fell with René Bazoa and is still an informant of the security services. Now he uses very short hair, short hair, and a beard.
-Are you sure?
Totally. Four days ago I saw him arrive at one of our offices in Amunategui N ° 54 but works indistinctly for various services including SICAR.
"What happened to Joseph Weibel?"
Well, he was questioned and from there a team came out and they killed him inside the Cajón del Maipo and then he was thrown into the river.
"Could you identify the place?"
I think so because there were other operations there, that of Carlos Bratti Cornejo, for example.
"Who was Bratti Cornejo?"
He was my colleague. First soldier of the Air Force, but worked in our service, of course he came sporadically to the War Academy because he worked at the Air Base El Bosque, worked the entire sector of La Granja. He was killed in Cajón del Maipo with communist informant Flores (Carol Flores).
"They killed them both?"
Yes, because they tried to change service and go to the DINA. At that time the DINA offered them better economic remuneration, car, house. The chiefs met and decided that this was treason because our information was being passed on to the DINA and then they came before us to execute an operation. For example, seize cars. Once there were some fuel tanks that had the MIR, I do not remember the place but it was near Las Condes, only we knew of its existence and the DINA arrived and it was requisitioned. There was suspicion that someone was passing information and it was learned that it was them. In the institution they were made a process and the director of Intelligence gave of discharge. Two months later the order came out, we started looking for them and they killed them.
"Do you remember details of the" Bratti operation "?
At that time we were living in the house of Bellavista, we were eight agents or so. I went to look for Adolfo Palma Ramirez around ten o'clock at night and he told me that there was an operation. We went to "La Firma", as we called it, which is the house of Eighteenth Street, the former local Clarín newspaper. There were other officers of the Carabineros, of the Navy. There were all the heads of the Joint Operation. I was surprised that there was pisco on the table, a kind of small cocktail. One of the people gave me a pill and told me to take it. I immediately realized that it was dope. The conversation continued until the drink was finished. I did not know what it was. A sentry was told to bring "the package", so they call the detainees. At that moment I saw that they came in with Bratti handcuffed and blindfolded.
"Since when did you know Bratti?"
He came in before me. I met him in 1974 at the War Academy, then I stopped seeing him for a while until he appeared again working with us.
"What happened next?" I mean when he came in handcuffs ...
They asked him questions. You could tell he was very shocked. I was drugged. They then gave orders to the sentry to get him out of the kind of living room we were in and we got out into the vehicles. I think there were two cars. Adolfo Palma was in one of them driving. At my side was a police officer and another officer of the Carabineros too. We go to Cajón del Maipo.
"Tell me the place in the Cajon del Maipo where Bratti was killed."
You have to pass San Alfonso, El Peach and when the road crosses the river, we passed the bridge and immediately we turned left. We traveled on a dirt road for 10 or 15 kilometers, I can not remember exactly. There were some cliffs.
"Was Bratti alive?"
Drugged I think, but alive. They stopped him at the head of a stone and he insisted that they remove the bandage and release the handcuffs. He supposed they would kill him. Palma asked him how he wanted to die, if he wanted to boot. It was intended to make a macabre game by the way. Bratti said he wanted to die without a band and without wives. I was very whole. Palma then turned to me and ordered me to remove the handcuffs. I remember when I approached to take the wives, he told me that it was very windy and added: "It's cold Papudo night." Yes, I answered, but I was broken despite being drugged. I was afraid, I thought that the others who participated were all officers, except for a police officer and that perhaps I was going to go with Bratti too. I was very frightened when they told me: "Now, take the wives!" They were about ten meters away. I fulfilled the order, I returned to Palma and they sent me to the vehicles. I do not remember what it was, if to look for something, I do not know. As I was walking towards the vehicles, on a very clear night, I felt the gust. When I got back to the place there were ropes and I was already dead. They told me to tie it up and put some stones on it, and we threw it down the cliff.
"He put only stones?" Did not they include moorings with wire?
I do not remember. The fact is that later it was said that we should have put something else because the corpse appeared in a few days, on the Canal San Carlos. Palma gave me the hand so that I would approach the cliff and let him loose in the river.
"Did you throw it in the river?"
Yes, I did. At that moment I thought they were going to release me too. I was very scared but I let go. Then we returned to the vehicles and returned to "La Firma" where we took another bottle of pisco and then they left to let me in the house. Logically I was asked not to comment on what had happened, but within the service was known of all the operations that were carried out.
"How did you know he was high?"
I felt like I did not step on, I did not coordinate. I also remember that I smoked and it was like I was not smoking.
"What did you feel when your servant was murdered?"
Until that moment he thought that he had betrayed us. Because we were told to pass information to the MIR and the Communist Party. He felt sorry but deep down he was angry because they told us that he had given a list with our homes, the places we frequented, etc., so that they would kill us. I thought then that he was acting well by the fact that Bratti was an official.
"How did you know that was not the truth?"
In 1979 we were working in Antofagasta, not in subversion. And Adolfo Palma Ramirez left me at a chance at his house because he was traveling to Chuquicamata. I took care of his house and I dedicated myself to listen to cassettes. I found statements of detainees, including those of Bratti. There I knew the truth: he was accused of treason for wanting to go to the DINA. I informed Fuentes that Palma had recordings with statements by Bratti and other detainees. By that time Palma was no longer on the FACH. Fuentes said he was fine because that was going to be an endorsement in case he would be detained tomorrow to deliver information.
- Did Palm participate in many operations of missing detainees?
In almost all. He was the second on board after Roberto Fuentes. He had been of Patria y Libertad. He was one of those who participated in the assassination of Commander Arturo Araya Peters, Allende's aide and boasted of that (assassinated by a command of Patria y Libertad with arms delivered by the Navy, July 26, 1973).
"Are there any other officials who have been eliminated?"
No, the FACH is the only one I know.
"And Calor Flores?"
He was not an FACH official. He was an informant.
"Why did they kill Flores?"
Because he tried to go to work at DINA. It was in 1976, I do not remember if it was DINA or if it was already CNI. In that problem Otto Trujillo was also involved, was of Patria and Libertad, had brought him the commander Fuentes Morrison to the service. He was also involved in the group that wanted to go to the DINA. He was released. By the influence of Fuentes they did not kill him.
"What happened to Trujillo later?"
Trujillo is now working for the SIM, the Military Intelligence Service. I remember that as punishment was sent to Punta Arenas, he was from there. Fuentes brought it later to Santiago. Suddenly he appeared working for us. Trujillo was told to return to Punta Arenas, not to return to Santiago, to forget the affair and his friends. He then appeared in SIM working with René Bazoa. They walked together. Otto Trujillo was recently sued by the court for a scam. Detectives were in the office and Fuentes was consulted for him. Fuentes replied that he had no idea why he knew he was in the SIM.
-What happened to Palma Ramirez?
In Pudahuel has a fruit distributor, a large local.
-Where in?
It is by Jose Joaquin Perez, a street parallel to that (gives the exact address). We also called Palma "Fifo".
"Were there other operations in the same place as the Cajón del Maipo?"
I know of several, one of them the one of Jose Weibel, but in the others I did not participate. Carol Flores was also killed there.
"Are you sure that Joseph Weibel was killed there?"
I do not know if they took him with other people but I do know that Weibel died there.
"You told me that you also heard of an operation in which detainees were released from a helicopter.
At that time we were in the Air Base of Hill, we worked four services: SICAR, Armada, Carabineros, Army and us. I heard of one operation but they may have done more. It was in 1976, when the Communist Party Youth was fought.
"Tell me everything you remember about the operation."
A helicopter arrived from the FACH to Colina and they took around ten or fifteen people. Among these people I clearly remember that there was a former alderman (now councilman) of Renca who was lame, had his years, must have been the same that fell with him in the raid. (This is Humberto Fuentes Rodríguez, a detainee who disappeared since November 4, 1975. He was arrested in a yellow van with a distinctive FACH).
"Were they alive from Air Base?"
Yes, they drugged them, gave them some pills but it seems that they were not very effective, because they realized. One of those who participated, "Fifo," told me later that one had woken up on the flight and had struck a fierrazo. Then they began to throw them to the sea, in front of San Antonio I believe.
"Did they do anything to them before they were thrown?"
They say they were opened.
-What opened ...?
The stomach, so they do not float. There were Army security commands, I think with the raven, before they were thrown into the sea, they opened them. It was only once that the helicopter arrived. I remember another of those who were taken, about 45 or 50 years old, communist, peladito, half moreno, on one occasion attempted suicide and broke an arm. They took him away, he was seen by a doctor, and he was plastered for a long time. He also left in the helicopter. There was another one who made caricatures. The others do not remember.
-Taste, please ...
I try, but I do not even remember their plates.
"Do you remember the names of security agents who participated in that operation?"
Rolando Fuentes Morrison is one and Palma Ramirez. Those two were the bosses. At that time those working on this were very few soldiers, most of them from the outside. I remember the "Luti", they came suddenly to the office but two were right-wing extremists who had participated in attacks, such as the murder of Araya Peters, for example, bank robberies, et cetera, during the UP period. I knew the plates no more, I never knew the names. They were of a good social standing. They usually did all the tracking work. They were sent by Palma. We participated in the catch only.
"What other operations were done on Hill?"
Another person died, was similar in appearance to "Comrade Diaz" who died in the security house. He was killed by the Army, interrogated and left there. Then we went to see him and he was dead. We called him, then they got back and threw him in the trunk of the car. I do not know what happened to him later.
"What state was he in?"
Beaten, with bruises all over his body, very stiff. I understand that you were given direct current, 220. You put two wires directly from the plug, not the special machine with which you torture. It must have been the year 1976 because that was the year we worked in Colina, totally separated from the Base. Inside it was a newly built jail for civil servants who had to serve military penalties.
"Was it a torture center?"
Yes. It was new. They did not use it. I even think they did not use it anymore because there works something else now. Then it was when we had problems with the Army.
"What kinds of problems?"
They wanted to command all the operations and ran the seniority among the bosses. Afterwards, the Army chose not to operate with us and began to work apart. We continue to work equally with the Navy and Carabineros. Then we went to work on Eighteenth Street, in the former Clarín building, which now belongs to DICOMCAR. There we had the detainees. From that place we took those killed in the Cuesta and there also fell detained Contreras Maluje.
"Did René Bazoa partake in that detention?"
He was our informant. He was detained on Hill. He was not an informant from before because he was tortured in Hill, he changed his life by the delivery of information. I say this because he witnessed the operation with the helicopter and with the citroneta. Bazoa arrived with several more, a woman, one who was called "Fanta" (Miguel Estay). Then Bazoa appeared with us.
"With you or the DINA?"
He started working with the services of the FACH and later I understand that they were passed to the Army when we stopped working the subversion.
"Who killed René Bazoa?"
I understand it was the Army, the SIM.
- Who gave Carlos Contreras Maluje?
(On November 3, 1976, at 11:30 am in Nataniel Cox, between Coquimbo and Aconcagua and shortly after being hit by a microbus, he was detained by security personnel.
A tall, dark-haired man with a spattered, bulging nose, brown eyes, shiny black hair. He had been detained in the Clarín building and delivered to Contreras because he made the contact. I do not remember the position that this man had in the Communist Youths, but it was important. We called him "Jose." There was another, the "Monkey" they said, short, brunette, we put "Monkey" because we found monkey face. There was another communist who fell with the "Macaco", was of finance and had a department in the center. We used to call him "Clockmaker". All those detainees went to their homes on Friday and we went to look for places Sunday beforehand, Plaza Ñuñoa, for example. When they gave us to Carlos Contreras Maluje, the rules were set little by little.
(The three communists informants would presumably be Vargas, Mallea and Saravia).
"Did these men die?"
Of all of them the only one who died was Contreras Maluje.
- Where did "José" (Vargas) live?
For the sector where the Municipality of Las Condes is, I think the street is called Paul Harris. I understand that he still lives there because we recently passed with a chief there and said, "This is where Joseph lives." There I realized that I was still an informant because he said that he had contacted with some name, that of an agent of the CNI.
-What happened to Carlos Contreras Maluje?
I remember everything very well because I participated. We stopped him with a relative or friend of Contreras in San Bernardo. We went with the informant "Jose", who was detained. At that time we had practically all the leadership of the Communist Youth, we lacked Contreras. By then we were working only with the Navy and Carabineros.
"Where was the headquarters?"
In Eighteenth Street. When "Jose" fell, in the interrogation, he said that he had a contact with Contreras in a house of San Bernardo. And he told us, "If they let me go, I'll contact him and then they'll get us." We released him, did all the operation and stopped Contreras Maluje with a young man. We had a hard time stopping him because he was more or less stout. When we went down Gran Ave one of the vehicles ran over a person and we followed. Coming to the barracks began the interrogation of Contreras. We asked him about all of us who had been detained, and he replied that he had not seen them for a long time or said he did not know them. We asked for Joseph, and he replied that he had not seen him for a long time. We took the band and showed all the leaders we had arrested. He realized, I think, that Joseph had given it to him. At that time, he said he had a "point" (a contact) with another leader, I do not remember with whom, on Nathaniel Street. The leaders met because there were some who did not want to carry out the operation because of the importance that Contreras had in the Communist Party. I supposed she was up to something. It was decided that the operation would take place and we left. We left him in Nataniel and began to walk towards Avenida Matta. Suddenly, I heard on the radio that they said: "The subject was thrown into the microphone". Contreras had been tortured until the last hours of last night, his wrists broken with his handcuffs. When we listened on the radio I was about seven blocks from the place. When we arrived, many people had gathered.
-What happen after?
When he saw us he began to shout that we were CNI or DINA, I do not remember well, that we wanted to kill him, to notify the pharmacy Maluje Concepcion. He also screamed, what was the sin of being a communist. Then he began to speak with gestures because he was semi-conscious. There all the other vehicles that were participating in the operation arrived and also a police patrol carabineros. They did not know what to do, if they took the driver of the micro (Luis Rojas Reyes) and looked at the guys who got off the cars with radios, machine guns, pistols. Then one of the carabineros took the driver and took him to the back of the vehicle to take the data and then said: "Go up and go no more." When we wanted to get on the vehicle, Contreras Maluje shouted no, he did not want the DINA's approaching. He even asked for help from Carabineros and said, "I have been tortured" and showed the wrists that were broken. He did not want to climb but we managed to get a Fiat 125 celestial car whose patent was in the name of the Director of Intelligence of the Air Force, General Enríque Ruiz Bunger. To this the general had no idea. In all operations the one in charge was Roberto Fuentes Morrison. Even that car should not have participated in the operation because it was with the right patent, it was not a false patent. That is why they called him after to declare by the process that there was.
"Where did they take him?"
To the quarter of Eighteenth Street. There he was beaten. He was wounded, with a broken head and a broken arm. They lowered it like a package. They threw him into the dungeon with pure kicks. They gave him strong. They said that he had betrayed.
"When and how did they kill him?"
At night. He was in the dungeon all day. They beat him for hitting him because nobody asked him anything anymore. A petty police officer kicked him in the face and fractured his nose. The next day, when I arrived, I learned that he had been taken to the same place on the Cuesta where I had gone before. A team of Carabineros left early to make the hole. I was there and I asked them where they were going, and they replied: "the same place where we went the other time."
"Who directed the operation?"
Roberto Fuentes Morrinson.
-Where is the place where Carlos Contreras Maluje and other disappeared detainees were buried?
In a Cuesta in the way Melipilla. It is a fork of the main road and we turn right. I remember that there is a detour, we advanced that way until a bridge, passing the bridge began the Cuesta. As in the third or fourth curve there was a secondary road, a footprint. It was about 100 meters. There we proceeded to leave the detainees and shoot them in the place. They were buried there.
"Without dynamiting them?"
No. They were only shot with muffled guns.
"Did they come alive there?"
"How many people did you take?"
Two people, but previously had gone with other detainees to the same place, about eight people or so. In the operation in which I participated there was a typical cemetery smell. It was noticeable that they had gone before to do other operations. These operations were done in conjunction with SICAR and the Navy.
- What do you know about the deaths of other disappeared detainees, such as Eduardo Paredes, Bautista Von Showen, Enrique París ...? (I give him a list by pausing between each man)
No, I have no idea.
"They did not comment among you?"
Much compartmentalization. What my unit does not have to know otherwise.
"For distrust?"
If many.
"Did you know that they could kill him at any moment?"
I always knew it.
"Did you take an oath in the FACH before you started your work?"
I have a document signed in the Directorate of Intelligence of the FACH in which it is said that everything I do should not comment on it, and if I am thrown out of work tomorrow, I must continue to lead a normal life, but I must not involve anyone . He even says that the one who falls arrested, falls alone, all actions made alone, never had the support of the institution.
"What other operations did he take part in?"
In Fuenteovejuna and Janequeo.
"How were those operations?"
Those who killed the mayor of Santiago, Carol Urzúa, had to be spotted. We were called when the operation was already armed. The counter-subversion team of the FACH asked for a collaboration. The CNI had already done the followings, had the houses detected, everything. There they arrested those who are currently detained, one who was called "Smurf" Palma. On the day of the operation I was in a van all the time. Suddenly we were warned that if the "one" came out - we had them by number according to their importance - the whole operation was started. On the radio I heard: "the one went out, follow him!" He made contact with another, and then they parted and arrested them both. Another one was caught here in front of Capuchinos, a fat man, I can not remember his name.
-Continue ...
The one I remember most is Palma, which was taken from a bus or a taxi. In the afternoon we head to the house of Fuenteovejuna. We met earlier in a supermarket near by. There were about 60 agents. A jeep arrived with a machine gun point 30, we were met by one of the CNI, I understand that it is officer of the Carabineros, and said: "Well, here no living bulls, all dead."
"How many suspects were they?"
Three. We about sixty. Suddenly I saw the jeep parked. Just in front of the house there is a passage. They gave the order by radio to take all our positions and then, the same officer asked if the base of fire was ready. I had no idea what it was: it was the jeep that was prepared, the jeep that had the CNI with a machine gun that comes out with a hydraulic mechanism. The machine gun came out and started firing at the house for about a minute. Then, through a loudspeaker they were told to surrender, telling them that they were surrounded by security forces. One came out with his hands up, and when he came out they rafaguearon. A woman answered from the fire. Immediately the house began to catch fire from the effects of a cane.
"Was the flare launched by you?"
Yes, by one of the agents who were posted inside and apparently fell on some papers, papers and started the fire of the house.
"Was the flare meant to set the house on fire?"
No. Light it to see if there were any more people inside. We knew there were two dead, but there were three people, we were not yet aware that Villavela had died. From the position in which it was found later we learned that he died with the first bursts of surprise machine gun.
-What was your role in the operation?
Shoot in case someone left the house. It was not really necessary. It was a crazy thing, all the people were shooting. I shot a bulb that was in front of the house to further obscure the sector. Afterwards, I worried about getting people out of the houses on the sides, to the neighbors.
-What happened after?
Investigations arrived and he took the case, let's say legal. Then, we went to Janequeo, in Quinta Normal, and as some of our agents were without bullets, for having used all the stock, we went to look for our office. When we arrived in Janequeo we were already waiting. The same jeep was doing his job.
"How many were the suspects?"
Two people and there must have been about forty agents, including people from the CNI and the Air Force. I know that one of the extremists killed him by passing a square that is nearby. He did not carry weapons, then appeared in the dam with a weapon, but the CNI put it on. "José", an Argentine, died in the courtyard of the house.
"What happened to the corpses?" Did Research also take over?
After we finished our part in the operation, we returned to the office. CNI continued to work alone.
"Do you know where the information came from about this group?"
No, I do not know. I do know that the MIR and the Communist Party are infiltrated by the CNI.
-At this time?
"How do you prove it?"
An agent of the CNI told me. They do operations, they kill people when they want. They know where is so-and-so, zutano, perengano. Even the people who recently settled in the Nunciature were under surveillance.
"Why did you want to talk to me?"
Because I wanted to vent. I bought the magazine Cauce and I started to read. I had no idea about the death of Juan Delmas' brother-in-law. I saw who was the journalist who had written that story and I chose it. But I've been turning this around for several months now. Today I decided.
- What other works of this type have been developed?
From late 1976 onwards the Air Force withdrew from the anti-subversive action. We only act sporadically because Roberto Fuentes, the commander, has contacts and is very friendly with the people of the CNI.
-Roberto Fuentes Morrison still belongs to the Air Force?
Yes, but he does not even work, the boss does not give him work. It's not there anymore.
- What contacts do you have with the CNI?
All services have a contact called the "technical channel". There are personal contacts for transferring information.
"Has there been any operative in which you have been involved?"
Yes, an operation for which we requested Carabineros. We, the team that I conform, are well considered in the work of counter-subversion. We look forward to it. We were called to make some raids on Pudahuel.
"What indications did they give you?"
They have to go to this house and these are the two subjects that we are looking for. I think they were involved in the death of a police officer. The passage I think was called "Apollo".
"Find anything?"
Weapons, no. Only documentation, propaganda, anything of importance ...
-But the television showed weapons ...
This time a raid was carried out involving about 200 police officers. It was paved I create half of the commune of Pudahuel. If arms appeared on another side, I do not know. Everything was taken to the police station in Santo Domingo. All the seized material was on the ground, but weapons were nowhere to be found.
"What happened at the police station?"
When we arrived at the Commissary of Santo Domingo, past Matucana, there were more than a hundred detainees of Pudahuel and some of Renca. They were all in the courtyard of the Commissary, placed against the wall, bandaged, hooded. Then he entered a vehicle with the tinted windows, took the prisoners one by one and put them in the front of the car, with the lights high. They removed the hoods and inside the car there was one that indicated who they were and who they were not. Apparently it was a man who had been detained three days earlier.
"Did your lady know what kind of work she does?"
He knows that I work in security, but not the specific jobs that I do.
"When did you get married?"
Six or seven years ago. I lived with her and got married legally later.
"When did you meet her?"
In 1975, I think. I came to live at home, in uniform, as an aviator. And suddenly long hair, they would pick me up in the car, down guys with machine guns. He realized that it had to do with safety.
"He never asked you anything?"
Yes, but I told him they were institutional work, nothing to do with the DINA or the CNI.
"Did she worry?"
If much. My lady then began to realize and was certain with the operation of Fuenteovejuna. I came in my pants with blood and she had heard the news. He asked if I worked on the site and I had to say yes. As she is very reserved, she did not say anything but I know she must have worried a lot.
"Did not you feel like doing another job?"
I arrived to do the Military Service to the FACH, to the 18 years, when I just left the high school.
"Was it never related to political activities?"
No. The year 1973 was 17 years old. I came to this in a way ... I mean I did not look for it. Suddenly I got involved in this.
"Do your parents know what kind of work they've done?"
They know that I am a security agent, that is the legal part of the matter, the security of the territory but never in ...
"Did you know Osvaldo Romo?"
No. All I know is that they said "The Dry Finger", because he used it to indicate ..., at least inside the service is known as such.
-Where do you live?
In the population Juanita Aguirre, of the Air Force.
"Do you rent or own?"
The Air Force gives us the house. We do not pay rent.
"Have you ever been nervous?"
Yes, I was in treatment, there are several cases, many hospitalized.
"Where are they hospitalized?"
At the Ñuñoa Clinic. There is an agreement with that clinic. I was treated by a psychiatrist.
"I asked you about these same things?"
No, because the doctor is on duty. I asked for medical assistance because I was very tense, nervous. I talked to a psychologist and he told me to get an electroencephalogram. He then summoned me several times to converse with him, assemble cubes, and so on, then determined that my problems were derived from my economic problems.
"Was the treatment in-depth?"
No. It was very shallow.
"Then how did he feel?"
The problems continue but I feel good. What I mean is that the problems I have are with myself. I mean, what I'm doing now.
"But why did not you tell the psychiatrist about this?"
I could not tell. How am I going to say that I am bored with this, that I want to go, that I do not want to work here anymore, that I am disgusted with this work. Imagine !, the psychiatrist of the service ... I was going to last a little life.
"What was the name of the psychiatrist?"
There are three doctors. The one who attended me did not know if he was a psychiatrist or a psychologist. It is very important, it is considered among the best in Chile. He even participated in forums on television. I understand that he works on Channel 7 and does propaganda campaigns.
-As it is called?
"Did he ask you questions about your job?"
No, with my family, nothing more. Not from work because it knows everything. He knows us all well. Another doctor surnames Rey and the third participates little, his name I do not remember but he has a crazy face, he is shorter than me, he wears shorts, walks medium rare, wears optical glasses, smooth, semi-gray hair. But Aracena yes that has participated in against subversion.
"If a friend of yours disappears, can you ask your bosses for him?"
He asks himself, as long as there is no so-called coverage, that is, he was transferred, he was discharged or in the end he was caught in one thing or another and detained. There nobody can visit it because the one who visits it goes low. They spoil the image as they say.
"What mission were you fulfilling at the moment?"
He was doing a four-month course in Territorial Security Intelligence, but I will not speak a word about it.
"What do you think of General Pinochet?"
I do not like. I think it's the thinking of the Air Force. We do not like it because it's a dictator. Let's say let's say when General Gustavo Leigh left. Within the generals there is a certain division by General Pinochet ...
"And why do not you like it?"
I think ideas should be combated with ideas. I've been thinking about this for a long time. If somebody tells me he's a communist and ... well, I can not kill him, I have to prove him wrong. Is that a country can not ...
"Are you convinced of what he's saying?"
"Do your fellows feel the same way?"
They do not speak openly. There is fear of retaliation. One can not freely say. No one is going to ask one or a boss "what do you think about General Pinochet?" That is not done.
"Did you know General Leigh?"
The day he stopped being a member of the Governing Board. We worked in a security house, but not against subversion. Suddenly, our officer arrived and chose people. They chose me-I believe from experience-to give protection to the general's escort. We went to the Ministry of Defense on a Fiat 125 and they did not want to let us pass. We threw the car over to a sentry of the Army that had cut the road by Galvez. The conscript did nothing, did not dare. Then we waited for the general to leave. There were many journalists in the sector, people who applauded and that's where a Chevy Nova car arrived. A blond officer came down and talked to our officer and told him that General Leigh's safety was in their hands. Our officer said no, we would escort him to his house and that the only orders we expected were from General Leigh, who remained our commander in chief. But General Fernando Matthei had already sworn. I remember one of General Leigh's bodyguards punching an Army command that did not want to let him into an office. They did not let us in the Ministry anyway. An argument broke out between the two officers and ours said: "You get down, in case this Chevy Nova moves, repel it." They did not dare.
-What happened after?
Then we escorted to the Diego Portales building. We got down with our weapons in hand and I think General Leigh was very astonished. When they come down there is a sentinel that says: "Lower the one", that is General Pinochet; "Lower the two" and so on. When General Leigh left, he said "lower the ..." and he did not know what to say. We accompany him to his house. There Leigh formed us all and said goodbye to each of us and told us that we had to continue to lend support to the new commander in chief. When they told him that someone wanted to talk to him, he replied that he did not want anyone on the board, or minister or anyone. Many people gathered outside the house. We kept watching the place and we kicked the CNI: it was full of CNI cars. To avoid problems they went away.
"Did you ever think that all things and works as you called them would one day come to light?"
Yes, I thought so.
- Are there people from the FACH in the CNI right now?
No. General Matthei withdrew them after the case of the dynamite.
"Was there a lot of commotion in the FACH?"
Yes, but not because of a sentimental problem. We found that it was a poorly done job. Stupidity. That's why it caused a stir, because there were many of us working in the CNI.
- But they had not retired the year 1976 to its people of the CNI?
Yes, but a week earlier, people had been sent back on commission for a year. When the case of the dynamite was heard, the next day an order came from General Matthei demanding that all the people return. The order arrived at eight o'clock in the morning at the CNI, at ten o'clock all the people retired. And to the one who did not want to return was discharged in the Air Force and the CNI took care of them, but not like officials FACH.
"Did not that cause problems?"
Problems with President Pinochet, yes. When we asked our people for the CNI it was by an order from him. They actually asked for all institutions. The only branch that retired its people was the FACH, the others continued working. We thought there was going to be a break because General Matthei went on to take an order from the President.
"In what way?"
When we asked for our people for the CNI, the FACH objected, but then came a direct order from the President of the Republic demanding that Matthei send people. With the problem of the dynamite ... it was thought that there would be a break. Alvaro Valenzuela himself, chief of operations of the CNI, who was in charge of our people, was first very arrogant and then had to accept that they were returned to the unit of the FACH. For that reason, the Air Force then asked all the security personnel to deliver all the numbering of our armament. To have absolute control and that our weapons do not appear mixed in a delictual or something rare that has no relation with the institution. That happened about two months ago.
- Was there another moment of institutional breakdown that you remember?
Yes, it must have been February or March, March safer. It seems that there was a break inside the Junta, because we had to watch the movement of the regiments during one night. It was a single night because the next day the alert was raised.
"Where did you watch?"
I had to control with my colleagues the Independence area, the Buin Regiment. See if there was truck movement, anything strange. We also had to be alert in my unit in case there was movement from Peldehue and El Salto.
"Did they take all Santiago, I suppose?"
Of course. It was later commented that Pinochet was expected to sign a decree affecting the Air Force and then we would be against that initiative. We wanted to avoid surprises, as happened with the case of General Leigh and that was why we controlled for movements to remove General Matthei.
"Back to the personal, the training you have, do not you think that the kind of work they are doing is absolutely abnormal?
I think if. One acts, does not think, only acts. We want to be efficient and that is why the less traces are left, the better done is the work that one does.
"Did not they play a role for the protests?"
We have never participated. We make an ordinary day. The order was given by General Matthei, he is very concerned about the image of the institution, he wants the FACH to develop only his professional work and not pretend any more.
-What is your institutional work?
Basically in the territorial defense, for that the Armed Forces were created.
"Have you ever killed in cold blood?"
Do not.
"Were you really aware of the kind of work you were doing?"
If so far.
"But ... do you realize?"
"How could he?"
It is a machine that wraps one to the point of despair, as has happened to me now. I know that at the moment I am playing my life. I know that my family may not be with me. They do not even agree with what I've done, but I had to tell them. I felt bad, I was disgusted. As I said, I want to be a civilian again.
"But you've been a security guard for ten years, do not you think of all the bullets you've fired ...?"
It is very likely because I participated in several shootings. It is very probable…
"You tortured her?"
"What were those tortures?"
Application of current, blows ...
"How do you behave like a father?"
I'm a bad father.
-Why? Do you hit your children?
No, but I rarely play with them.
"What do you mean?"
I do not know. I think that in all this time I have begun to look at life in a different way. I've noticed the situation I've been through. I do not want my children to love me. I know that any day they are going to kill me and I do not want them to suffer. That's why I'm like that in my house. Even my kids love guys more. When they arrive, my children run, embrace them, greet them ... When I arrive, sometimes they run and I do not pay much attention to them. I love you, but not in the sense that it should be ...
"But have you ever wanted anyone?" Have you cared for anyone?
Yes, of course, but I have a very particular way of loving people. I do not know how to explain it ... I prefer that they do not love me. With my family, I am very different. I never visit my parents.
-It was always like this?
No. When I was a boy, I was doing well in school. He was affectionate and a gift from my parents even though I am the middle brother, we are three brothers. I was very sentimental, then I lost all those values.
"And he did not notice?"
Of course I did and that caused me conflicts.
"How did he solve them?"
I never really solved them. He let them pass.
"Do you resent the institution?"
Against her, of course not. Against those who transformed me, yes. With the bosses who took me to do what I did. Against the institution, not against the Armed Forces.
"Who were these bosses?"
Roberto Fuentes Morrison.
"When did you meet him?"
The year 1974, in the War Academy. He was not from the FACH. I have the impression that in 1975 he was appointed reserve second lieutenant. He always implied that he was once infiltrated in Patria y Libertad. In 1980 he was shot, shot twice and promoted to commander. At the moment he is commander of squadron, of reserve clear. He is very fond of wearing his uniform.
"What kind of person is Roberto Fuentes?"
He is cheerful, always happy, cheerful.
Was he always the one who ordered to kill?
He was always in the operations and it was he who participated with the heads of Carabineros, the Navy and the Army who worked with us. They dictated who was killed, so I doubt that the maximum heads of the FACH know what really happened.
"Are you sure Fuentes Morrison does not do anything at the FACH right now?"
Nothing, except that sometimes works with the CNI, but because he offers to cooperate, makes contacts, personal favors. There I learned that in the CNI there are several units or groups. One is called the Blue Group that deals with political parties and so for each area they have to work: opposition journalists, unions ... They have been specializing for years. There is an MIR area, another Socialist Party, Radical Party. Even jokes are made between them because those who work the most are those who deal with the MIR.
"Did he have many friends, Fuentes?"
I had friends in different places. For example, one of those arrested for the death of a PJH worker in Pudahuel, Joaquín Justo Piña Glamesti, had been his friend since the time of Patria y Libertad. Once we went together to the Municipality of Pudahuel to do a job. We were looking for a person, we had the address but we could not locate it in Pudahuel and we went to the Municipality. When we left, Fuentes took an official of the Municipality to the car and commented that we had to go to see Piña and Fuentes said: "I do not pop my boto, so I'm going to go and see him in jail." Then he named the others who were imprisoned with Pineapple. The one who was with us in the car answered that he remembered that they had worked together for many years and told Fuentes: "we learned from you." It was clear to me that they had worked together and that they also belonged to Patria and freedom. They continued talking, alluding to the fact that Fuentes had been the author of the blasting of an oil pipeline during Allende's time.
"Are you afraid for your life?" Have you thought about what will happen in the future?
Now I'm afraid.
-What measures have you planned to take for the future?
I do not know ... let time tell ... I do not know what's going to happen to me.
"Does anyone know who came to talk to me?"
No one, absolutely nobody.
"You just graduated?"
Of course, I have approved the course. A new destination awaits me. I have to graduate tomorrow.
"And you're going to do it?"
No. I will not be.
"It's going to be a surprise to everyone ...?"
Yes, for everyone. I know it's going to be a strong rematch inside the Air Force, with repercussions in many places, in the CNI ...
"But you could not at any time oppose such work?"
I was 18 years old and wanted to know, I had never been with prisoners and I wanted to go and see. I can tell you that within the services there are young people who arrived like me and got so involved in the violence that I believe that now they can not live without violence.
"And what if they are out of work?"
That is why there are many cases of delinquency. Carabineros who have been caught assaulting service centers, for example. I do not know, I think that after this it costs to enter the world of the law.
"Did you think it was above the law?"
I always thought it was above the law ...
"Did he feel very powerful?"
I do not. But sometimes yes, he is right, powerful, not me as a person, the system found him powerful.
"Was that what led you to be arrogant in your house?"
No. I've never been arrogant or fighter. In that aspect I even have been a coward to fight with another person of equal to equal. Violence did not dominate me to that extent.
"To your other companions, yes?"
I already told you that I do not want to give the names of my classmates. One day he was coming with a colleague, in a car, someone had run over a person who was under the broken micro. We were eating a sandwich and he passed in the car very slowly. I noticed that he enjoyed the spectacle. I looked and turned my face. I had seen many dead but I was struck by that scene, not so much the dead, but my colleague. He kept eating and was very healthy. And that's what I think led me to do what I'm doing with you. I have noticed the change we have had since we were conscripts, some turkeys, some fools, no world.
"What do you do in your free time?"
I do not like to get to my house. I read a lot. I like reading. Before, I really enjoyed playing football, then I stopped going to the court.
"What would you have liked to do in life?"
I do not know. I've never thought about it.
"Do not you remember what you wanted to be when you were a teenager?"
Although it seems ironic, police, detective, carabinero too.
-What would you like your children to be in the future?
Doctor, any of the three.
"When you saw a doctor who was of the service and who participated in those jobs, what did he feel?
I saw a doctor putting pentothal, that struck me.
"Where did you see him?"
In hill I do not know what a doctor was. I do not remember. He put it on "Quila" (Miguel Rodríguez Gallardo) ... It was hypnotized too ... There was no case. That is why I say that she is one of the people whom we considered enemies that I admired, for their temperament, their courage, their convictions. Sometimes we would break next to him when we saw how they gave him. He was always whole.
I would say that at first when one begins, first cries, hidden, that no one notices. Then he feels sorry for himself, a lump in his throat, but he can stand the tears. And then, unwillingly wanting, you're getting used to it. He definitely does not feel any of what he's doing ...

*1-. CAROL FEDOR FLORES CASTILLO: He worked in the Municipality of La Cisterna, lived with his wife in San Bernardo. With the coup d'etat he was out of work and became a welder. His father was a noncommissioned officer of the Carabineros in retreat. He was detained with his two brothers on August 5, 1974 at his parents' house and taken to the Air War Academy (AGA). There he was visited three times by his wife.
He was released after being tortured on October 23, 1974. In his absence, his first child was born. After being released, agents of SIFA, among others Roberto Fuentes Morrison alias "Wally" begin to visit until he becomes an informant. He disappeared on May 30, 1976. His body appeared on July 2 of that same year.
*2-. "Coño" Molina: Jose Bordas Paz, one of the main leaders of the MIR, was arrested on December 5, 1974, in a mousetrap made in the street and ended in a bullet-hunt in the Vitacura neighborhood. The team was under the command of Colonel Horacio Otaíza and Edgar Ceballos.
*3-. HUMBWERTO CASTRO HURTADO ("CAMARADA DIAZ"): A 54-year-old worker, who lived in a modest house on General Las Heras Street, on the 30th floor of Grand Avenue with his wife and two children. All of them witnessed his arrest, which occurred on September 3, 1975 at 2:30 in the morning.
*4-. ALONSO GAHONA CHAVEZ: He was a hard worker from the Municipality of La Cisterna who was left alone, in charge of his two small children: Yuri (7 years) and Evelyn (6 years). He was arrested by a group of the Joint Command, which integrated his friend Carol Flores, on September 8, 1975. His son "Yuri" came to mimic with a tree outside the prison camp "Tres Alamos", waiting Every day his return. The chessboard in which his father began to move the pawns was mute night witness of his anguish. His long walks during which he taught him to count will remain forever in his memory.
*5-. MIGUEL ANGEL RODRIGUEZ GALLARDO: Married to Rosalba Mendoza, three children. He was a former Cabin Crew and worked as a mechanical turner. He was arrested on August 28, 1975.
* 6-. Arsenio Leal Pereira, married to Rosa Carrasco, four children, was another of the detainees killed by the Joint Command and identified by Andrés Valenzuela. He was arrested at his house in front of his wife and children in the early hours of August 29, 1975. When he was handed the body to his wife on September 9, 1975, he was told that he had committed suicide. He described it: "He looked like an old man of 80 years in circumstances that he was 44 years old. It had violet spots under the eyes and in the upper left part of the thorax. His legs and arms had purple spots. The tips of his fingers showed signs of violence: he had no nails. The testicles crushed them as if they had been beaten. On one of his shoulders he had a strange mark: a burn. He had a bullet hole, marks on his ankles and on the arms of being tied, a hole that pierced his right hand, his forehead beaten and his nose twisted. The hair was stuck in dry blood. Around the neck I had a denim scarf ... ".
​ Andres Valenzuela,Alias Papudo