Neruda's "People's Anthology", stolen by Editor "Edaf"
In 1973 the Spanish publisher publishes FASD plagiarism theft and embezzlement of the 1972 People's Anthology of Pablo Neruda.
On the cover of the original, printed in Chile under President Salvador Allende G., indicates 1972 as year of publication, plagiarism FASD appears as a posthumous work dated 1973.
By Mario Casasús
More than 5 million books were destroyed in the cellars of the publisher Quimantú, by the Pinochet dictatorship, between losses include 30,000 copies of the fourth edition of epic song of poet Pablo Neruda (research published in the Chilean magazine Rocinante August 70th). The foreword written especially in 1973, has been reissued, nor knew of its existence (in the Complete Works of Neruda, compiled and annotated by Hernán Loyola, played the prologues of 1960 and 1968, epic song is dedicated to Cuba and Revolution) the history of this third prologue unpublished (1973) is a struggle for Chilean folk memory.
The writer José Miguel Varas (biographer and friend of Neruda) and his wife Iris Long (official at the time of publishing and currently Quimantú documentary on Human Rights) were forced to live in exile in the USSR during the dictatorship of Pinochet, Iris managed to take with the only copy of chanson de geste, editorial Quimantú 1973, in gratitude for the experienced, it was donated to the Library of Foreign Literature in Moscow and over the years this library has lost its premises so valuable specimen. Following what published in Rocinante, Neruda Foundation and the National Library of Chile have asked the Library of Foreign Literature in Moscow the search and in the best of scenarios photographs, photocopies or microfilm of the prologue, front, back and climax of Song feat.
Personally I thought that my research would "note for the week of the centenary of our poet", but on July 10 read in El Universal of Mexico, on the discovery in Spain of a posthumous anthology of Neruda. Everything was believable, if 5 million books were destroyed by the dictatorship of Pinochet, an anthology of Neruda would be no exception. The Editorial Edaf and Mr. Manuel Marquez de la Plata claimed that there were only three copies of this posthumous anthology of Neruda.
I argued and reissued by Edaf proved to be a big fraud, falsification and plagiarism: 1. - I interviewed the same day, July 10, the president of the Neruda Foundation, Juan Agustín Figueroa (who shared the table with Faride homage to Neruda Zerán and Gracia Barrios) said he was not aware at all, because "the book that you allude not know a copy has been preserved, if indeed any, we as a foundation course tipificaríamos with corresponding institutions, so if you can give us a hand in this sense to locate the entries will be extraordinarily grateful " . Before the argument on my part, that this anthology of Neruda would already edited and circulated in Spain and apparently soon in Mexico, Juan Agustín Figueroa continued saying: "I will get in touch with our literary agent in Spain, which is Carmen Balcells so that we can get in Chile, also releases this gem that historically is very important. "
In short, both Mr. Juan Agustín Figueroa, those attending the conference in the Mapocho Station, July 11 that, as who writes, unaware that the "discovery" in Spain and their simultaneous reissue in Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, Argentina and Chile, was actually a book, which came into circulation in 1972 and that has nothing to do with "being posthumously".
In the exhibition Journey to the Heart of the library collection of Neruda's Advocate Hermosilla Nurieldín Rumié were two copies of Popular Anthology 1972, Mr. Carlos Vallejos (bibliophile and curator of the exhibition) gave me photocopies of the anthology to compare with what republished by Edaf. Here are the differences and editor fakes Manuel Marquez de la Plata and Edaf.
2. - The original cover includes the date of issue "1972" (the reissue of Edaf, suggests that the People's Neruda Anthology was completed in 1973, for its luxury version invented a cover with a picture of Pablo Neruda and posthumous anthology title).
3. - The cover of the 1972 People's Anthology is eliminated, there appears responsible for it: The Ministry of Education of the Unidad Popular (at first I thought it was a project of the publisher Quimantú, but in reality, the Ministry Education absorbed the cost of printing and distribution of the text).
4. - The publisher Edaf uses a letter to Salvador Allende Neruda (September 6, 1972), for inclusion in its posthumous anthology as an argument that the draft submitted to the UP government was never realized. The letter has been plagiarized from the Complete Works, Volume II Disperses Neruda, compiled by Hernán Loyola, Edaf manipulates information and dates, the use of the letter is inadmissible, the original edition does not include private correspondence between Neruda and Allende, just cite the copyright to verify that Neruda's will is to give his work the Chilean people.
5. - The Anthology original copyright 1972 Popular says: "Pablo Neruda not receive any fees for the publication of this work. For its part, the Editorial Losada SA owns the copyright of all the author's books in Spanish, has also renounced any economic advantage in this edition. This book can not be put on sale. Its purpose is to arrive at no cost to the Chilean people. " The spirit of this anthology is betrayed by the Editorial Edaf, the price of the reprints is 10 thousand and 30 thousand Chilean pesos in its pocket and luxury.
6. - In the culmination of Edaf eliminate two rows (also of historical value) according Edaf, the posthumous anthology of Neruda, was prepared in France with the help of Homer Arce (true story), but the two following lines Anthology of Popular 1972 say the exact date of termination (20 November 1972) and the place of printing (Graphic Workshops García, Santiago de Chile). If you remove these two lines one can assume that the 1973 coup interrupted the completion of the 1972 People's Anthology of Neruda and therefore it would be an "unpublished or posthumous anthology".
7. - Edaf includes a timeline to replace the back cover of the Ministry of Education of the UP, even there are serious errors, call to book Nixonicidio Incitement and praise of the Chilean Revolution, "Introduction to Nixonicidio" and in another paragraph it named " Invitation to Nixonicidio ".
By doing a business in Neruda Centennial, FASD and publisher Mr. Manuel Marquez de la Plata have deceived foreign readers (from Spain, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Argentina) and Chileans who did not receive free Popular Anthology 1972 it came to circulate among the workers of the Popular Unity and public libraries, is a monumental lie to say that there are only three copies in all the land of the People 1972 Anthology Neruda. To mention one example in the exhibition Journey to the Heart of Neruda were two copies (following the logic of the Editorial Edaf cheating, then five anthologies of Neruda would in all the land), the National Library of Chile also retains a copy of the anthology Popular 1972, as well as the Library of the University of Chile and the last auction on November 4 Bloombury Auctions London House went to auction two anthologies (original 1972) dedicated by Neruda himself (note EFE). It is difficult to make a real census of Neruda popular anthologies that are now preserved, do not forget that the state terrorism of Pinochet, forced to hide incriminating books, otherwise it will burn up in the streets during the raids and illegal detentions leftists.
In an email received from the executive director of the Neruda Foundation, Francisco Torres, giving him thanks me information Editorial irregularities Edaf and confirms that I have no contract with these characteristics to publish the Anthology 1972 Neruda Popular with FASD. Neither Mr. Manuel Marquez de la Plata or the editorial paid for the copyright to the Neruda Foundation, it is a plagiarism in every sense of the word, would be misleading to readers and news agencies, with the statement of the existence of only three copies in all the earth. And finally the "amputation" to home and back, to copyright and colophon are an affront to the history of literature and Chilean Communist militancy Neruda, as the number of omissions allow Anthology imagine that ever was given 1972 Popular the people of Chile and therefore today FASD Spanish merchants, they feel entitled to do Neruda Centennial robbery in five Latin American countries. If the Pinochet dictatorship wiped Popular Anthology 1972, Manuel Marquez de la Plata and Edaf have given a meaning neoliberal, to Neruda's literary project hosted by the Unidad Popular.