Contrary to the claims of the Israeli authorities, the current bombing of Gaza aims to break the national unity between Fatah and Hamas and prevent the resumption of the peace process.
1. In 2005, Israel formally withdrew from Gaza and dismantled its colonies of settlement. In reality, the Israeli army has full control of the air and sea space of the enclave, occupies a mattress inside Gaza area, controls the only shopping area with the outside Palestinian territory and the pedestrian passage at Erez linking West Bank and Gaza with Israel, and maintains the register of civil status.
2. Since 2007, Gaza live under Israeli and Egyptian blockade. According to the Israeli NGO Gisha, the inhabitants of the enclave are deprived of many basic products (jam, vinegar, chocolate, canned fruits, grains, nuts, cookies, candy, chips, gas for soft drinks, dried fruits, fresh meat, plaster, asphalt, lumber, cimento, iron, glucose, industrial salt, plastic containers / glass / metal, industrial margarine, asphalt-based firm for huts, clothing fabrics, fishing rods, fishing nets, rope for fishing , broody and spare parts, spare parts for tractors, irrigation hoses, musical instruments, A4 paper, writing instruments, books, newspapers, toys, razors, sewing machines and spare parts, horses, asses , goats, cattle, chickens, etc.)
3. With an area of 360 square kilometers and a population of 1.7 million people, Gaza has the strongest density the world with more than 4,700 inhabitants / km². Under military siege, with an unemployment rate of 40% (60% among young people aged 15-29 years), 53% of the population under 18 years of age, the population suffers from numerous hardships and materials regular blackouts and survive in conditions close to destitution. Over 70% of Palestinians are dependent on humanitarian aid.
4. The kidnapping and murder of three young Israeli teenagers in June 2014 served as a pretext to Israeli Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu to unleash a deadly new attack against the civilian population of Gaza.
5. To date, there is no evidence whatsoever of Hamas involvement in this crime. Conversely, leaders of Palestinian armed group denied responsibility in the act. The July 25, 2014, Jon Donnison, BBC reported that Mickey Rosenfeld, the Israeli police spokesman, acknowledged that Hamas was not involved in the killings and it was probably the action of an "isolated group".
6. During the days following the kidnapping of the three young Jews, the Israeli army launched a broad military operation and proceeded to arrest some 350 Palestinians, including most of the leaders of Hamas in the West Bank - including deputies and the President of the Palestinian Parliament Aziz Dweik - and killed five people. Also a young Palestinian man was burned alive by Israeli extremists.
7. In response to this military offensive, the proceeds Hamas rocket fire against several Israeli cities and demands the lifting of the blockade on Gaza provisions of the ceasefire agreements of 2008 and 2012, and the release of Palestinian political prisoners .
8. As of July 8, 2014, Israel launched Operation "Protector Net" and bomb civilian populations of Gaza, causing thousands of deaths and over 10,000 wounded. The official aim is to destroy the tunnels that allow incursions into Israeli territory by Hamas fighters.
9. To date Aug. 3, the incessant bombing of the Israeli army killed at least 1,439 Palestinians, among whom 90% are civilians, and at least 250 children, according to the UN Office for Humanitarian Coordination.
10. Jon Snow, a journalist for the British television channel Channel 4, traveled to Gaza and gave his testimony: "The average age of the Gaza inhabitants is 17 years. About 250,000 children are under 10 years. Then, in this densely populated urban area, if they decide to launch rockets and bomb, etc., inevitably kill children. And that's what Israel does. "
11. On the Israeli side, according to official figures, 63 soldiers and three civilians were killed after attacks by Hamas and other armed Palestinian factions.
12. On July 22, 2014, Majed Bamya, spokesman of the Palestinian diplomacy denounced Western hypocrisy in an interview with television channel francésFrance 24: "Let me understand: Hamas, which in this Israeli aggression and war killed 27 people including 25 soldiers of the army of occupation, would be a terrorist and criminal organization, while those that killed 530 people, among which 90% were civilians and more than 100 children, would be the civilized country in this conflict? [...] It is not because there is a rebellion of the slaves that slavery is acceptable. "
13. On July 14, 2014, Hamas rejected an Egyptian ceasefire proposal, considering it as a "surrender" because it did not include lifting the blockade and not the release of political prisoners, as it was accepted by Israel.
14. On July 18, the Israeli army launched a ground invasion of Gaza and deploys 70,000 troops.
15. On March 19, Hamas proposed a truce in seven points. On July 24, the draft truce proposed by John Kerry, Secretary of State of the United States, is rejected by Israel.
16. On July 28, an Israeli missile killed four children playing on the beach near the refugee camp of Al-Shati, before the cameras of international television, sparking a global shock.
17. Since the start of the bombings, the Israeli army destroyed three Nations schools, killing dozens of people, among them many children. On July 23, a rocket hit the UN school in Beit Hanun. On 29 July, the school Nations Jabaliya unit was bombed by the Israeli army, killing 16 people, including at least 6 children. Ban Ki Moon, Secretary General of United Nations, denounced the crime and said that "the exact location of this elementary school 17 times communicated to the Israeli authorities, particularly last night, only hours before the attack." On August 3, the Israeli army bombed a third UN school in Rafah. According to the UN, "there are many dead and wounded."
18. According to UNICEF, since the start of the bombings, at least 10 children killed every day. Pernille Ironside, head of UNICEF in Gaza, denounced the slaughter and recalled that "children are killed, injured, maimed, besides being absolutely terrified burned".
19. According to the World Health Organization, 250,000 people had to flee areas of fighting and are now homeless.
20. Navy Pillay, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, accused Israel of committing "war crimes" to bomb UN schools and hospitals.
21. On 31 July, Netanyahu mobilized another 16,000 additional troops bringing the number to 86,000.
22. The Human Rights Council of the United Nations adopted a resolution with a majority of 29 votes (17 abstentions, 1 vote against) presented Palestine, condemning "the widespread violations, systematic and flagrant violations of human rights and fundamental freedoms" . The resolution also calls on the Palestinian population placed under "immediate international protection."
23. In the past decade, Israel illegally built more than 100,000 new colonies in the occupied territories in violation of international law, and currently holds more than 6,000 Palestinian political prisoners.
24. Despite calls for a ceasefire, the United States and the European Union continue to support Israel economically and militarily, despite repeated violations of international law and war crimes committed in Gaza today. However, Latin America has taken a different position demanding a cessation of hostilities, the lifting of the blockade and the resumption of dialogue between the two sides. In a joint statement, the presidents of Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Venezuela "energetically condemned the disproportionate use of force by the Israeli army in the Gaza Strip, which affects mostly civilians, including children and women." Brazil, Ecuador, Chile and Peru withdrew their ambassadors from Israel. Cuba, Venezuela and Bolivia broke off diplomatic relations since.
25. In fact, Operation "Protector Net" is not intended to destroy the tunnels which inevitably rebuilt the duration of the lock, unless a new Israeli military occupation of Gaza. This new military aggression against a defenseless population is intended to break the bond between Fatah and Hamas formed a government of national unity on June 2, 2014 - initiative welcomed by the United States and the international community, but rejected by Israel - in order to prevent the creation of a true Palestinian state and thus continue its policy of colonization. The only solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is political and goes through the respect of international law, namely, the implementation of the Resolution of the Security Council of the United Nations 242 of November 22, 1967, with a total removal Israeli army from Gaza, the West Bank and East Jerusalem, the dismantling of all illegal settlements, respect the 1967 borders and return of Palestinian refugees. Only dialogue and negotiation between the two parties will enable the establishment of a peaceful solution with two sovereign and equal states.
* PhD in Iberian and Latin American Studies at the University Paris Sorbonne-Paris IV, Salim Lamrani is a professor at the University of Reunion and journalist specializing in relations between Cuba and the United Unidos.Su latest book is titled The Economic War Against Cuba . A Historical and Legal Perspective on the US Blockade, New York, Monthly Review Press, 2013, with a foreword by Wayne S. Smith, and a preface by Paul Estrade.